Personal Tax Account
Posted on 13th February 2023 at 12:46
Do you have a personal Tax Account?
Your Personal Tax Account is a safe and secure place for you to check, update and manage your details with HMRC, online, any time. It brings together all your tax information in one place.
PERSONAL TAX ACCOUNT
What is a Personal Tax Account?
According to HMRC: “Your Personal Tax Account is a safe and secure place for you to check, update and manage your details with HMRC, online, any time. It brings together all your tax information in one place. Whether you need to make changes to the tax you pay or have questions about when your next Tax Credit payment date is, your Personal Tax Account can help. Personal Tax Account gives you a quicker and easier way to update us day or night, instead of having to call or write”.
How do I get a Personal Tax Account?
Available via the online government portal GOV.UK you can set your account up here:
If you’ve already done your Self Assessment online, you’ll already have a Personal Tax Account. You’ll need your Government Gateway user ID and password to log in.
Alternatively, you can sign in to access your Personal Tax Account by using GOV.UK Verify.
You can also download the HMRC App and access your account that way. Again you will need your User ID and password.
If none of the above applies, you’ll need to create an account for one or the other. To create a Government Gateway account you’ll need your National Insurance number or UK address and a recent payslip, P60 or a valid UK passport. GOV.UK. Verify “works best if you’re over 20 years old”. You’ll need a UK address, mobile phone and at least one valid photo ID.
Why do I need one?
The Government Gateway is a central place where you can register to use online government services as well as:
• fill in, send and view a personal tax return
• claim a tax refund (eg if you overpaid tax via PAYE)
• track tax forms you’ve submitted online
• tell HMRC if you’ve changed your name or address
• find your National Insurance number
• see an estimate of how much Income Tax you’ll pay
• find out/amend your Income Tax tax code
• see how much you’ve earned from employment in the past five years and how much Income Tax and National Insurance you’ve paid during the period
• get your State Pension forecast
• renew, check and manage your Tax Credits
• check or update your Marriage Allowance
• report changes that affect any Child Benefit you receive
• find out about or update any employment benefits you receive such as a company car.
It’s important to access your Personal Tax Account so that you can manage your tax affairs. Knowing where you stand with your tax liabilities can give you peace of mind. Not only that, but you can also check to see if you have overpaid and are due a refund, so it’s worth it!
If you have any questions about setting up an account please don't hesitate to contact us here: https://www.bsbaccounting.co.uk/contact-us/
Share this post: